Explore Skåne: Where to go with Skånetrafiken JOJO in November?

Skånetrafiken jojo card in a post as a gift.

I had seen this free Jojo card before, especially on student Facebook groups every week, every month a student posted for rent or for sale, and it was driving me mad, that "hey, you got it for FREE!" Now after 2 years of seeing it, I finally received the free Jojo card for the whole reading for 2-week use! Yey! I was so happy, as it happened on my names day (Latvian thing), and the dates were after I move back to Malmö from Dörröd, so, it was a perfect treat to still be able to escape Malmö grey and browns streets to see what's happening around Skåne in late autumn. 

I did not plan adventures like nature escapes, every trip was a day trip plan. I did hope I maybe will wake up one day early and catch the  #8 bus to Knivåsen, and see a sunrise, but it was not so easy to predict if I will see the sun again like I experienced in the highlands of Skåne. In the end, I only used the card for one week, than two weeks long. My intentions were to focus on cities, explore museums, culture houses which I would not do during summers.

So, where did I go?

I visited Kristianstad twice, with one time stop at Åhus, Höör, Helsingborg and Lund. And I had a weekend escape to Dörröd during Latvia's 99th National day (18.11). I had fantastic sunny hike day at Falsterbo, following the coast-skåneleden. In each place, I had planned to finally do some tourist activity, such as visit a museum and find a fine eatery or coffee spot. Just a little bit enjoy myself, treat myself and have a small adventure, as I am not travelling abroad or far, the local travelling is nice too.

While I was researching and making notes to where I will go to, and adding on the list pros and cons why not my loved Ystad or Simrishamn or somewhere further North of Skåne, I noticed that being a tourist without Swedish language skills in Skåne might be a bit tricky. The lack of information or visually disorganized tourist websites was confusing me a lot more. In reality, it is not so complicated as it seemed on the virtual world. I have personally difficult time when the websites are not well organized and information in English (yes, sometimes I want quick info than long Swedish) was shorter, but mainly I had trouble with visual information. So, after all, maybe it is better to go to a local tourist info centre and take all that printed info (and make more paper waste)? Well, after all, I just travelled to my destinations and saw a spot all I needed to know.

Kristianstad & Åhus

In Kristianstad I did not find any fine vegan friendly eateries, either I was hungry at an odd hour when nothing was open (Sunday) or I simply new I just want to be near bus, so, I ate at the Kristianstad C station in "espresso house" the new vegan wrap and drunk my usual cortado coffee. But for all-eaters, I noticed that the museum cafe/restaurant was really busy and smelled good! (Maybe it was busy because there simply are not that many choices where to go to eat lunch?) 

In the first photo, you can see the Water house, kind of nature museum. It's a lot of fun for kids, so, go as a family there, but can be without kids too. I have been there previously, so, this time I skipped and went to look at some art and history at Regionmuseet Kristianstad (here). 

This museum includes several exhibitions under one roof, so, leave your outdoor cloth on a hanger and enjoy a couple of hours (or it could be all day if use cafe too) of interesting facts, creative exhibition showcase and learn something new about the local area. 

So, I saw these exhibitions: Tidernas I Skåne /Time periods of Skåne/. The information was in Swedish and English, not everything, but the main facts were in English too. So, its tourist friendly. But I really enjoyed the set-design, the visuals how all was presented to us. It was really eyeing catchy, not boring old school history museum, but with a lot of going on that definitely super fun to take your kid and learn together about the history of Skåne.  After exploring Skåne time exhibition, the path took me into the history of the local area Kristianstad. That was well planned and innovative too, maybe something seemed to be broken, some buttons or lights, so, I would assume it has been a long run exhibition, but it was interesting, well presented and again - if I was a kid, a lot to interact with to learn and hear stories. BUT this was more Swedish friendly. Through this exhibition in the corner, I suddenly noticed the beautifully colourful entrance to FILM MUSEUM! It was a small exhibition, but I spent quite a lot of time reading and watching the movie scenes they had added there. I was not focusing so much on historical facts, as maybe I should have, I more looked around on overall set-design and visuals, and I really thought "wow, well done!" as it's really attractive for children to take to a museum! 

Actually after a while, all this reading and sucking in a lot of new information and having a brainstorm in my mind, I was feeling tired and needed a break, so, if I was there next time, I would go to a cafe for a coffee or other beverage to continue the educative exhibitions. Mentioning that, the last exhibition on the top floor was about education in Sweden! That I might have enjoyed a lot more than others, just because I enjoy this sort of exhibitions focusing on a everyday life of our human existence. This was all in Swedish, so, sorry tourist, you won't learn about their education, but the visuals and set-design might be enough to understand. Visual language has a power too. With my Swedish, I did not entirely understand all exhibition (due to the fact I was also getting energy-tiredness), but it seemed "wow, they had wood crafting and such subjects", more real-life subjects than what I had. I still could go on a rant for hours and hours about my secondary school and high school MATH teachers for freaking not teaching me real-life skills in finances, but some stupid x and y and zed and 360 degrees and x in a square and crap like that which made me to hate math even I love numbers. Anyway, this was a small educative education exhibition worth seeing even with bad Swedish or no skills!

I ended my culture and history walk with Konsthall, which is in the same building but on the left side of the receptionist. As soon as I walked in, I felt my inner art lover soul screaming and jumping with a joy! Finally, I saw something really historical, educative and interesting in a local art-hall, comparing to all the visits to Malmö Konsthall... I stopped going there as every exhibition was just a joke. But perhaps my art-taste does not enjoy a white wall with a white frame, or some strange photos of some kind deep meaning which does not even show up there and no informative text on an artist or the work, just no. But here I wanted to spend much more time but I had to catch a bus (its almost 2h bus ride), so if I had stayed longer, I would have to pay for another meal (dinner) so no. 

There is another museum which I did not visit in Kristianstad - railway museum. And in Åhus I had visited the history of Åhus museum during the summer, now I only went for a walk to Äspet beach and read some of my obligatory literature for studies. 

Traveling from Malmö is simple, train or by bus. It depends where in Malmö you live. I choose the bus as it's next to my home and in general I prefer this two-floor bus with the huge window in front and wifi connection. Both are relatively going the same time, around 2h (1h30 - 1h50 min).

To get to Åhus, you take a bus from Kristianstad C. But always beforehand check the bus route and bus stops to know where you need to get out, as this bus's destination is not Åhus.


 Åhus Äspet beach.

Kristianstad museum - Regionmuseet Kristianstad.

Art, history, culture, past and nowadays under one roof.

 

 KRISTIANSTAD KONSTHALL


HELSINGBORG.

Finally, I was exploring culture in neighbour town Helsingborg. I have been to this town so many times, but always due to some event or just a walk around with a friend, only once in 2015 summer I had exploring day, but I did not go into any museum or cafe, just chilled at the city beach and walked around the town. This time I knew my goal is to visit one museum. When I was looking into tourist sites of HGB, there were many interesting options where to go. I like this article in English. (click).  I choose to go to Dunkers Kulturhus because I had been there one evening once working for a friend's re-cycle up-cycle workshop and thought when I have the chance I will visit/explore it. 

I had late lunch at "Vegeriet" as it is not so easy with vegan eateries there as in Malmö, but my boyfriend had found this restaurant and we have tried it several times. It has a bit atmosphere of some old-school time cafes, nothing hipster and trendy. It is also a healthy wellbeing shop so while waiting for your meal, can check some treats for body and mind. Herbal teas, candies without extra substances and palm oils, vegan products, superfood powders and such. 

But there are plenty of interesting cafes, restaurants, eateries in Helsingborg. It just all depends on your budget and diet. I recommend to google search eateries before going, so, that can get to know where exactly would like to go, as cafe culture is important in Sweden.  

I chose to visit Dunkers Kulturhus, but my intended plan was to go to Fredriksdal. I thought I can fit in a day both, but I did not realize that Dunkers Kulturhus has really interesting and educative exhibition on the cities history. The facts and stories were not just simple dates and political changes, but ethnographic perspective, how Swedes lived, how this town was born and grow into nowadays, how was the social and innovative life, people lifestyle, etc. I enjoyed it very much, maybe a bit too much as I ended up there longer than I thought. But that's a good sign, right?

Anyway, I have added few photos with the texts from the exhibition, I highly recommend to visit this if you are a local or a newbie in Skåne, it's always good to know and learn about the past, how else we can create better future?


DUNKERS KULTURHUS.

 /Text from thecrazytourist.com/ "In a white building that takes design cues from Renaissance castles, this cultural centre is many things rolled into one. The Kulturhus opened in 1997 with the intention of fostering creativity and culture in the city. If you’re just popping by there’s a permanent exhibition about the history of Helsingborg, and the city’s tourist office is also here. There are also temporary exhibitions curated for all manner of topics but mainly anchored in art and photography. The Kulturhus also has a theatre, concert hall, a restaurant and art studios for Helsingborg’s next generation of creators."

FALSTERBO & BEACH WALK.

This place in Skåne is one of my favourites for a long time. A usual escape when "I don't know where to go - don't want too far, but be near nature with fewer people". I jump in the bus from Malmö and wake up at the last stop. I have been there many times and have done many different skåneleden hikes, the only I have not done yet is the path from Skänör to Höllviken. 

But, oh boy, I do recommend to go here in any season, in any weather (well, not in the stormy wind), in any daytime. The best sunset is here. I've seen in all seasons it now. And this is my favourite nearby "wilderness" beach where I still can go skinny dipping! 

Falsterbo is famous for its golf course by the beach and the horse show. In everyday language, we describe it a bit of a fancy place, for an upper class type. I have a good friend who comes from there, and he has introduced me with facts and stories about Skänör and Falsterbo enough that I can a bit compare it with "stockholmer escape". Swedish culture observer will understand. But usually, tourists and travellers go there for the nature walk. There you can see the cows grazing, have a dip in a sea, visit some harbour restaurant or just have a picnic at the beach with closest people and not feel disturbed from the crowd as in Malmö beach. First of all, here I will share with photos from Nature Nature house and Konsthall - in one building, the last stop of bus number 100 from Malmö. 

Again - I highly recommend to visit the second floor of this house  - Naturum. If you have kids, perfect, it's so well planned, organized and the visual design is so good that my inner child was in joy. It's not just for kids, even the focus on set-design is based on children interest, even adults find it educative. I have been there twice, and the first time during summer it was very crowded, but you can see in these photos I was all alone, and I spent few hours going through each object and text. It's all about the beach and birds. Falsterbo is also known for their bird watching thing, and so the focus in this Naturum (there are several around Skåne) are BIRDS. It's the perfect location! Go educate yourself and kids, have some food (restaurant downstairs), check their tourist shop, can find some good local made souvenirs, and then off to the beach! It's only 2minute walk away. 

KONSTHALL exhibitions changes now and then, but this time there was this about sea and water, made me think of Latvian artist's work Valdemars Johansons - Thirst (2015) which I had seen in  Latvian National Museum of Art.

LUND.

This town is my previous university town, so I have spent there enough time during the study process, but not so much for exploring and visiting museums. As a student, I did not live there. I did not get to visit The Sketchmuseum before it went into the renovation, so, I can't explain what are the changes, but the modern, new, fresh look is nice. Also, this museum takes a lot longer time than expected, but it's so worth it. 

In Lund, you can find many interesting museums to visit, if are into the culture, history, art and such. The ones I have seen before are connected with my previous studies, that visit to Kulturen, History museum and Konsthall was because of Lund University courses. Kulturen, in my opinion, and many others, is the best of all. It's pricey to get in, luckily I was for free (thanks, LU), but if you can, it is totally worth it. For culture and everyday life explorer geek, it's the best place to go. The history museum was a bit standard layout, so, don't bring kids with you, bring coffee instead! If you google search museum visits the culture life in Lund, you'll find a lot of information for different kind museums, so, if you plan to visit for a day or few days, research about museums and make the plan, as some of the museums can take all day and also, opening hours are specific sometimes too! 

So, here are my snapshots from the exhibition, but before few photos from the morning with Polly.

Travelling and eating in Lund.
It's a student town, one of the biggest. Which means you can find easily a bus or a train from anywhere in Skåne to Lund. Also for whatever budget a cafe or restaurant. Ask a local or do the research. Sometimes beforehand research is way better than being hungry in a Swedish town where you can run into the first eatery you see and be shocked when getting the bill. ;)

HÖÖR

Another stop with my free 2 weeks jojo card was this not really popular destination. I and my fellow Latvian friend Liga just wanted to go somewhere we haven't, but relatively close where we both can easily travel from Lund and Malmö at the same time. It was a very, very, very cold day, but it was one of our national days, called "Lacplesis day". And we had to get together. As it was so cold, we just ended up sitting in a cosy cafe for hours.So, nothing much to show, but if you are not going on a weekend, you might find the second hand shops open, which are much more interesting to visit than in big Swedish cities, towns. The main activities can find around Hörr. This town is like the meeting point for the "middle of Skåne".  Unfortunately, a lot of information is only in Swedish, Danish or German, not so much in English, then the google translator can help. If you do travel as English speaker only, you can get around easily here, everyone speaks English, don't let you scare away from the tourist info sites.

Travel&eating.
Again, depends where you are in Skåne, but Höör also is an active connection point, but as for eating, do research. The best is if have a car, so then could enjoy the surrounding of Höör area, as the castles, parks and such are not so easily reachable by public transport. In my personal experience, I have had problems with Skånetrafiken as a tourist traveller sometimes. For commute, it's fantastic and well-planned routes, but it is often difficult to reach some culture and nature areas without having a car. So, do the research.

Dörröd 

A weekend to hang out with my little friend Chai. My last three days with my free Jojo card I used for visiting the countryside where we were located for two weeks in October. We had to have another slow weekend letting go the feelings of missing this home, nature and a dog. If you have followed my stories from the countryside of this blog, then you know. 

This was such a good plan. Also during this weekend, it was Latvia's 99th birthday or national independence day, so, perfect celebration mode on. All I did was had walks in the forest and relaxing evening by the fire with our little friend Chai. Leaving this time my heart and mind felt more peaceful than the day when I said goodbye to two-week adventure.

Here I will share with few, because I want to make a seperated post on this weekend, as this post already has gone long, long, long...

Kristianstad&Åhus

Regionmuseet Kristianstad : http://www.regionmuseet.se/
Åhus Äspet beach.

Helsingborg.

Dunkers Kulturhus : https://dunkerskulturhus.se/

Lund.


Falsterbo.



Go and explore Skåne your new destination or new home, or just as passing by tourist!

 

Comments