Latvia: Escaping Malmö winter to Riga. Feb-March.




Escaping Malmö winter to Riga. Feb-March.

Another year when exactly 20th February I am off on a flight to Riga from either UK or Sweden. What a coincidence, but then again - not really, because it usually is the reason to go to the homeland as my granny's birthday is at the end of February, or I used to go at the end of March when it was my grandad's birthday. Yet, I thought it's funny how 2 years in a row, exactly the same situation. And - who goes from one winter country to another winter in the same year? Not many, instead Nordics flee to South, but I end up in -25C.

When I was leaving Malmö, it felt it was the spring in the air... I was a bit in complex emotions, because "hey, it's warm here, and I am going to proper winter with -20..." and "hey, I will finally experience the low temperature and a lot of snow as we did not have a winter in Malmö". That was just a false call - in few days a proper, beautiful winter arrived in Malmö and I felt a little bit unhappy for not seeing it. I love cities covered in snow! But Riga was not bad either - sunny every day that I felt like a vampire going outside, freezing cold and I finally had the right outfit on (otherwise I was dressed too warm), it was -22C and I especially planned long walks to feel the frozen air on my cheeks. Do you love the cold? I love that feeling. I wish it came earlier so it was longer. Latvia visit in these winter conditions was perfect.

Anyway. Riga. One of my closest friend's Aoiphe (I always spell her name wrong, those Irish names, eh) who I  had met, while hitchhiking around Sweden, in Malmö a few years ago came to visit me in Riga. It was so good to meet someone from the "those old times" who I have been familiar with for years. I love her and she is the strongest, the best and the most supportive friend I had ever had who has gone through my breakdowns and depression and always stuck with me like a nettle in a garden. Those friendships you cherish a lot.

While she was with me in Riga, I was more active into tourist stuff than later after she left. We went to the Latvian National Museum of Art.   It is worth going if you do not care the art, but the architecture as a tourist, the building itself is a piece of artwork. We also just wandered around Riga or I was taking her through my usual paths telling her "this was my favourite place and bookshop and cafe etc".  We definitely went for some meals to Riga's vegan mecca - TERAPIJA. Vegan or Non-Vegan it is a must go place. Everything made from scratch, super budget friendly (but I always go over the budget just because it all is so delicious), and it's reasonably central too.  And some second-hand shops, a bookshop, my friend is a book nerd, and it's an interesting travel stop anywhere in general - small independent bookstores. Well, we did not do that much, the main point was to hang out and be in here and now as we don't meet that often only facebook chat " I miss you!".

When a foreigner asks what to do in Riga? Often I have only one recommendation: doesn't matter the season, take the train to the seaside. At the beach, you'll learn, understand and discover what kind of personality as a nation is Latvian. Our long coastline - border - seaside is the soul of the nation. We can go into details and separate in groups Latvians as some would argue against. I'm sharing my emotional patriotism and observation of my own Nordic hobbits called Latvians. Living abroad, Latvia's seaside is what I miss the most, no wonder that my favourite beaches in Skåne are similar - Falsterbo and sandhammaren, and stenshuvud. 




I was 3 weeks in Riga. The main reason was to focus on my health issue. So, my first week was busy with doctor appointments, and I was running out of energy really fast. After some check-ups and results, I finally knew what I need to do and I began my new healing with Ayurveda diet and herbal medicine by my doctor. Some were saying "Why I don't do it in Sweden?", well, here I must admit, as much as everyone claims how Sweden is the most perfect country, in the health industry, I do not trust and I don't have a great experience. I prefer and I will always deal with my health only in Latvia. And what is not known - many Latvians abroad feels that way, and not only Latvians, there are foreigners, even Swedish, travelling to Riga for health check-ups. So, that's how it is!

While living at home with my granny, I picked up my old habit of walking for an hour or so. Explored the local area more and more I see how Imanta district is vivid, eye-catching, quirky and just fascinating! A forest next to home, then the old historical buildings, and locals looking from mid 20th century, brand new shops with all kind assortment of vegan products even (wow!) and just, in general, a really great district which has not had the best reputation. Just take the tram to Imanta and jump out at the destination stop and wander around! I even walked all the way to the centre 1,5h but easily done. After all these 3 weeks were really needed after my low energy winter in Malmö.

Exploring the local district, on a sunny weekend day, I walked into the forest and was what I saw there I was positively surprised! Why? Because social media tells how bad we, humans, are with modern lifestyle that kids only live in online reality, but here kids had the same childhood as I had - sledging down the small Latvian-kind-hill all day long! Childhood to these kids is fun. I wondered how many of them snapchatted their rides? Did they even do it? I went for an afternoon walk, not expecting to see children, it seemed so joyful and I wanted to capture it, but doing so I felt like a sneaky stalker and imagined that parents will think I'm a bad person. My inner adult-child was happy to see that these so-called modern kids still run to the little hills and enjoy being cold with red cheeks, and still, want to continue the winter fun even if get cold. Winter is ALL ABOUT FUN! What else to do in an uncomfortable situation!? 

I think I kind of became an ambassador of winter this year. My Instagram feed was overloaded with winter stories, adventures and moments. Because I simply believe winter is for fun - no snow or yes snow, still need to embrace this cold season and love it. Winter makes us look deeper into ourselves while wearing funny, happy Xmas edition jumpers... :) 

That's kind of all I can say in my notes of Riga visit. Let the visual notes speak...


//// LV ////

apēst to ziemu ar acīm varētu.


This is how I hold Latvia in my memory. The best light. Latvia and the sun have a beautiful friendship. Another similar light I've seen only in Budapest, so you all foreigners should just come and see the magical summer evening light, winter sunrise, and the daylight in spring. Autumn deserves all the glory. That's my personal resemblance of Latvia. The sunny winter days and summer sunrises, the love to light photography is in my ancient Latvian genes:)
myprint.lv have done a great job. a calendar for my granny with my photos.
Granny made for me simple traditional vegan meals, I brought her favourite sweetbreads.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANNY!

Comments