Explore Skåne: Cycling in Skåne: When far away in a forest greeting the new year.

 When far away in a forest greeting the new year.

A landscape where giants once existed.

It's 2018. Can you believe it? We have lived in 2 centuries already! Or you just might only know this century. On this New Years Eve I remembered my 2000s NYE.

The millennial NYE, the new decade, the new times, the hype of everything "the all-new". When conspiracies and spiritual, religious beliefs of the end of world (it maybe was), raised up more, some expected aliens to come and greet us, or our pets suddenly would start to talk to us...It was an eve full of hopes and high expectations, in unbelievable and magic, and just literally hoping for something weird to happen! But what happened? Nothing much, the same old good evening with a bit more spice to it!

I was 10 years old and that evening I finally felt happy. I laughed so much and it was my first "up to late" NYE. That year my family had a lot of their friends invited, and especially I enjoyed Andrejs visiting us (I had a hope he'd become my father, but not). Now I don't remember why I thought he was such a funny character, but he somehow touched mine and brother's heart, that we always wanted him to visit us.

It was a great night. Before the midnight, all of the guests split in several cars and drove up to the river's coast to watch the 2000s fireworks over Riga. Back then the sky was still clear at nights, and we lived outside the capital in the countryside and had a great landscape scenery with river and all the towers, and then the fireworks... I remember my mum wearing a red dress in which later after the midnight, she was one of the people who were pushing a car out of the snow. That moment in my memory I remember as the most comical show of all NYEs. Over the next years we still mentioned it now and then.

Everyone that night had special outfits. Not dress up party, but specially sewed dresses. My granny was wearing a special millennium dress, I remember songs, laughter and a lot of noise. And then... The next morning's dinner leftover in breakfast, lunch and dinner and all the same one more day. Kitchen full of dirty plates and billion champagne glasses. Food until the next years NYE. And then it all went back to normal. No aliens, no meteoroid crashing, no Jesus coming down, nothing, not even my cat speaking!


Now 18 years later, I am almost in my mother's age when in 2000, almost, just 5 years younger than her. I did not have loud, happy, fancy NYE. I had it opposite. The last years since in "adulthood", I have tried to re-create a bit of that craziness I had in my childhood. A fun, happy, singing, going into sauna, dancing and laughter new years, but somehow it never felt right, fulfilling. Someone drank too much, someone was not in a mood, someone was a bit too much of a stranger, some decided to ditch the small company and "travel away" (get high). Or simply I was in a place of too many strangers. So, always something and nothing.

And this year, we finally said no to trying to fit in somewhere with somebodies. We did "our thing". Into the wild in a cabin going by bicycles and adventure backpacks. In 2017 it seemed the world was too busy to connect, so, it is just us and I like it. We like it, and we don't mind it even if sometimes need "alone time" from each other. But what you gonna do to introverts?! That' s the way we are.

We found this tiny house in the north of Skåne. We had nice simple vegan meals, some beer and a bit of wine too. Some card games and book reading moments. We greeted the midnight hour with sparkles and Latvian traditional future reading. Just calm and peaceful, all we needed. Now in 2018 January, I get ready to finish 2017 year, set goals, make plans and "how-tos"/action lists. Where we will be next year around this time? Well, either somewhere or the same place.

The host of the farm where the tiny house was, introduced us to the area as the "forgotten part of Skåne". It indeed felt and seemed to be the calmest area from all Skåne parts I have been to. Even if it was populated area, it somehow felt an old time 1-5km far away neighbor style village, and did not feel disturbed by noises or it did not feel you are all alone (in a scary way). We went for short walks to get fresh air after making the tiny house so or too warm as it was so nice with the fire stove! Just kept running the fire. The forest had many roads which seemed only animals use, and some random lost visitors like us. And the big rocks grown with bright green moss everywhere that reminded the folk tales about them! "Do you believe giants lived? Yes, why not!" It seemed it used to be a busy farming area, now, grown away forest. Rare nature. Calm and relaxing.

It just finally felt "we did the right thing". It could be a stay at home NYE, but outdoors is more of our kind home. A short welcoming adventure cycling trip!

The airbnb host Mi Möller is a local star and her place 'click here'. She makes amazing breakfast, for all-eaters it must be more of a treat as she offers all organic/ecological - eggs, cheese, milk, but me as vegan eater got instead delicious homemade jam from dried all-kind-berries, and peanutbutter, and she baked amazing small bread buns! yum! Worth to add on your booking list that you want breakfast. If you are not on airbnb, here is a link/code to sign up and we both get some treat/discount! :)


So the visual material...



 


I got a nice, fresh makeup from nature - muddy face!
   






 

 

 

 






 

 
























 


 



  



 

 

 

 






And the sunset on 1/1/2018 in Malmö

P.S. Thinking that we have escaped the war-noise-zone (fireworks), I was a bit negatively shocked how much of what happened out there in the forest! I mean this location is very far out from any big and small towns. Yet people still were shooting fireworks even if live in the middle of nowhere where actually it is home to wild animals! The only time they should be stressed is when hunters come. I do not find joy in fireworks, knowing how stressful it gets for pets, it is the same for farm animals and forest. I do hope that stepping into the next years the 2020s we will become more aware of our other Earth inhabitants and stop the fireworks shooting by anybody, why can't it just be a government, a city council thing to do? Either everyone could just hold a sparkle in a hand, those make everyone happy! This business has gone way too far. Sorry to end this like this, but if you know me, you know me I don't ignore the reality.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you

Comments