Explore Skåne: Weekends in Åhus. May heat.

Weekends in Åhus. May heat.

  Åhus is a small town by the coast near Kristianstad. It's a very old town, goes back to medieval times. From what I have heard from locals, Åhus was a very popular town back days due to its harbour. Ruins from a castle are still possible to spot, but don't imagine to see what you usually think of "ruins of a castle". I warn you:) Nowadays Åhus is a bit high-class top-notch lux vacation spot. From two sides it has two white sand beaches, one nearer centre is more popular, there even has a Volleyball tournament in the summer, and the one in my photos are often Äspet beach. It's a more local area as it's by the private home zone. 

The other things what Åhus is known for are: eels, vodka and ice cream. Åhus used to have it's own ice cream company, made locally and such, something that we would call now a sustainable, eco and bio ice cream. During the summer there are still ice cream shops, and the queues are long, but it's not what it used to be known for. Eels I read and heard people love them, it's the Åhus thing. Ever since I was a kid, I was scared of eels, because they look like snakes to me. My relatives in Latvia comes from an area where the eels are a thing too, so, every summer I remember with a bit of fear when visiting them. The third thing, the famous loved around the world vodka: ABSOLUT vodka bottles are from Åhus, not so much the liquid heard, but check the bottle, it says ÅHUS! Go visit the ABSOLUT Home in Åhus. 

My visit was mainly to visit my partner's family and chill, I wanted to just be close to nature, but somehow this time I did not find peace and balance within when out in nature. Something is troubling me and I felt more anxious. I tried to calm down, maybe I did, but something worries me and I don't know what, maybe just in general a stress about the future.  Anyway, it was nice very hot May days in Åhus.

























 




Comments