The 100th 'birthday' celebration of Latvia in Stockholm 18.11. and Malmö 24.11

The 100th 'birthday' celebration of Latvia.

Stockholm. 18.11.2018.

 100th birthday for my homeland is a big deal. As I wasn't in Latvia, but in Sweden, I wanted to celebrate it somehow even if not so big and fancy as it would be in Riga. I joined the Stockholm's Latvian event - first we had a church service at Adolf Fredriks kyrka, and afterwards, we went to the Estniska Huset for some drinks and snacks, and music and chatter. It was nice, calm and festive. The women choir sang songs, we had some traditional cakes and Swedish style fika, and the best beer from Latvia - Valmiermuiza.

This was a small gathering, as they did not expect many will come as thinking that mainly everyone will be in Latvia for 18.11., but surprisingly we were many and even needed extra tables! What I enjoyed the most - having Valmiermuiza beer while sitting around the table with many different generations and "background Latvians" singing the folksongs. Stockholm Latvians had the big party a week before, that was grand and also too many came that needed tables. I think that is only a positive note, people want to come together!




 

Malmö 24.11. Traditonal dance and music party.

 This event is organized by us, the South of Sweden Latvian association.

The Latvian Ambassador of Denmark Alda Vanaga gave us a speech, and the Latvian Honorary Consul in Malmö Andreas Pitlik also had a word to say. Then the choir "Skåne" sang, but for the fun part - dancing and singing, the folklore group "Stokholmas spelmani" took care of. We served "cold table", my mother flew from Latvia to cook the big festive meal, and everyone loved the food! Some even said how authentic it tasted, not like making from Swedish ingredients, haha, well, that's why we had a Latvian from Latvia and food ingredients also travelled from Riga. I and my mum cooked for 2 days everything, only at the end of the party it got tiring and energy-draining with kitchen chores. Anyway, it was fantastic to meet so many interesting fellow Latvians I would never meet on the street by accident, now we had a chance to meet and hopefully, with some, I stay in touch and organize the fikas. ;) Also, I hope that after this event, many will understand why I and Ilze Spigule literally are fighting for creating celebrations for us, getting us together now and then. This must give a positive energy to want for more <3. 
Thank you!

For latvians: Ja dziivo Skåne, tad atrodi muus te:
Dienvidzviedrijas latviesu biedribas grupa.



 





























 










 




















  

And of course, the only photo I have is a selfie!

My personal Instagram 'love message to Latvia'.











 

Comments